May is Bike Safety Awareness Month
The League of American Bicyclist has organized National Bike Safety Month as a way to raise awareness of the benefits of riding your bike, as well as encourage proper bike safety.
At Daggett Shuler, we care about our community and the safety of all cyclists. Many of our attorneys are avid cyclists, and we want to continue to do our part to raise awareness by providing these safety tips to remember during National Bike Safety month and throughout the year.
In the United States bicycle fatalities continue to increase as more people turn to their bike as a mode of transportation. According to the NHSTA, in 2015 alone, 818 cyclists were killed in motor vehicle crashes throughout the United States.
Whether you ride your bike to commute to work or school, get some daily exercise, or simply enjoy the spring weather you are faced with a much higher risk of being seriously injured in traffic accidents.
According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA):
- Wear a properly fitted helmet at all times to protect your head from a fatal injury.
- Adjust your bike to fit you.
- Make sure your equipment works properly – check your tires and brakes before you begin your ride.
- Make sure you are visible at all times – wear reflective clothing, use a bike or helmet light when dark.
- Obey all traffic laws – a bicycle is considered a vehicle and must abide by the same rules.
- Go with the flow of traffic – always ride on the right in the same direction as traffic.
- Check twice before turning and always signal.
Read the full list here.
Drivers of motor vehicles have a responsibility to safely share the road with bicyclists. If you or a loved one suffered serious injuries in a Bicycle Accident that was caused by a negligent, distracted or drunk driver, call Daggett Shuler Law right away at 336-724-1234.
When you call, you will speak with one of our experienced Winston-Salem and Greensboro, North Carolina Bike Accident attorneys absolutely FREE. We will investigate every detail of your accident at no cost to you, and fight hard to secure the maximum compensation for your injuries and damaged property.
At Daggett Shuler Law, you will never pay an attorney’s fee up front. We take all cases on a contingency-fee basis, which means that we don’t get paid until you do.
Daggett Shuler Law – You Can Depend on Us