Talcum Powder Cancer Lawyers in North Carolina
Regular Use of Talcum Powder Linked to Ovarian Cancer
As far back as the 1930’s, there have been suspicions in the medical community that regular use of talcum powder on the genital area may be linked to an increased risk of developing ovarian cancer.
Multiple scientific studies have confirmed that there is a link between long-term use of talcum powder and ovarian cancer. Despite having knowledge of this major potential health risk, Johnson & Johnson chose not to add warning labels to any of their products which contain talc.
Products such as Johnson’s Baby Powder® and Shower to Shower® were sold as safe and effective feminine hygiene products for years with no warning to women about the potential health risk. Now, thousands of women that have developed ovarian cancer due to long-term use of talcum powder on the genital area are coming forward to seek damages against Johnson & Johnson.
If you or a loved one were a long-term user of Johnson & Johnson talcum powder products and developed ovarian cancer, call Daggett Shuler Law at 336-724-1234. When you call, one of our compassionate, experienced North Carolina Personal Injury attorneys will speak with you for FREE. We will help provide the answers you seek and fight hard to protect your rights.
Studies Link Talcum Powder Use to Ovarian Cancer
Scientists have studied the potential link between talcum powder and ovarian cancer for decades. Many medical professionals have concluded that regular use of talcum powder on the genital area can cause talc particles to migrate through the fallopian tubes and into the ovaries. When this occurs, it can cause inflammation of ovarian cells that can eventually lead to ovarian cancer.
Talc particles were observed on cancerous ovarian tissue as early as 1971. The first case-control scientific study linking regular talc use to ovarian cancer was published in 1982. Since then, many more scientific studies have shown that long-term use of talcum powder on the genital region increases a woman’s risk of ovarian cancer by as much as 33%.
Dr. Daniel Cramer of Harvard University has spent three decades researching the link between ovarian cancer and regular talcum powder use. During a 2013 court case against Johnson & Johnson, Dr. Cramer testified that talc use was a contributing factor in as many as 10,000 ovarian cancer cases every year in the U.S
Johnson & Johnson Faces Thousands of Failure to Warn Claims
The dangers associated with talcum powder have been well established for years, but Johnson & Johnson consistently failed to warn women about the potential health risks. Multiple landmark verdicts have found that Johnson & Johnson failed to warn women about the serious potential health risks associated with their talcum powder products:
- August 2017 – A Los Angeles jury ordered Johnson & Johnson to pay $417 million to a woman suffering from ovarian cancer linked to the use of baby powder. The baby powder is linked to ovarian cancer when used regularly as a feminine hygiene product.
- May 2017 , a Missouri jury awarded $110 million to a Virginia woman.
- October 2016, a third jury in Saint Louis awarded more than $70 million in damages to a 62-year-old California women. The women claimed her diagnosis to ovarian cancer was a result to her regular use of Johnson & Johnson talcum powder.
- May 2016 – A second jury in St. Louis also awarded $55 million in damages to a South Dakota woman that was diagnosed with ovarian cancer after using Johnson & Johnson talcum powder.
- February 2016 – A jury in St. Louis ordered Johnson & Johnson to pay $72 million in damages to the estate of a women who died of ovarian cancer caused by regular talc use.
These verdicts have compelled an additional 1,200 women to come forward to seek damages against Johnson & Johnson. To learn more about your legal rights and discuss your possible case with Daggett Shuler Law, call 336-724-1234 today.
When you call, you will receive a FREE, confidential consultation with one of our experienced North Carolina Personal Injury attorneys. At Daggett Shuler Law, we will investigate every detail of your situation at no cost to you. You will never pay an attorney’s fee up front, and you owe us nothing unless we recover for you.
The experienced Winston-Salem and Greensboro, North Carolina Personal Injury attorneys at Daggett Shuler will handle your case with compassion and determination. We will fight hard to hold negligent product manufacturers responsible for your injuries, medical bills and pain and suffering.
Daggett Shuler Law – You Can Depend on Us
If you believe that you or a loved one may have a personal legal claim, you can contact us in one of three ways:
- Contact us online at www.daggettshulerlaw.com
- Call us toll free at 1-800-815-5500. Our phones are answered 24 hours a day.
- Click here for a Free Case Evaluation
At Daggett Shuler, you can depend on us.